B Major

Home Forums Fiddle Lesson Forum B Major

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Roger Green
      Participant

I went to a bluegrass jam session the other day. We played all of the standards, tunes and vocals. There were a couple of good singers that like singing in B major. I found I was woefully lacking trying to take a break and provide backup licks. Decided that it would be good to take some time and learn scales in B major. Realized there are not many tunes in B major. I could come up with two, Train 45 and Rebecca (by Herschel Sizemore). Can you think of other tunes in B major?

Also, could the instructors be persuaded to give a technique lesson with tips, exercises etc. to help when playing in B major. At this point, I’m not even sure what 1st position is in B major.

George Bretz
      Participant

Roger,
      Good questions. The help you are looking for is here on the site.
      First, I try to spend time everyday playing standards in various keys.
      For example, Rolling In My Sweet Baby’s Arms, I work on playing it in popular keys A, D, G, C but also add B, Bflat and E.
      After you play tunes in the “common keys” a few times you’ll realize you can transpose to any key.

The video lesson you are after is “Nashville Numbering System”, by Megan Lynch Chowning. The whole series is great with simple theory. In particular in the first Nashville Numbering lesson video she describes the “Fiddle Capo”.
      That lesson will get you playing in all the keys with chord accompaniment.

It is impressively simple but not really easy.

Best luck,
      George

Casey Willis
        Keymaster

Good answer, George. I would also recommend Megan’s Nashville Number System/fiddle capo lessons. And I’m with you, Roger…playing in B is not a ton of fun.

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.